Humiliation suffered by Sikh players at Asia Cup figures in LS
New Delhi: Members in the Lok Sabha on Thursday expressed outrage over the humiliation suffered by two Sikh players in the just concluded 5th Fiba Asia Cup in China where the organisers did not allow them to wear the turbans while playing.
Raising the issue during Zero Hour, Prem Singh Chandumajra (SAD) said efforts should be made to prevent recurrence of such incidents.
India should also ensure that action is taken against those instrumental in "meting out the humiliation", he said.
Jagdambika Pal (BJP) said the issue was a serious one and government should take due note.
The members said in spite of the humiliation, the Indian team came up winners as they scripted a historic win over China and gave a scare to World Cup qualifiers Iran, Jordan and the Philippines.
Reports had it that two Sikh players, Amritpal Singh and Amjyot Singh, were asked to remove their turbans before the start of the match on July 12 at the recently concluded 5th Fiba Asia Cup at Wuhan. They were stopped from entering the court moments before India were to open their campaign against Japan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla