Hunt begins for new CBI chief
New Delhi: Government has set in motion the
process to find a new Director for CBI as its incumbent
Ashwini Kumar will be retiring by the end of this month.
A panel comprising the Cabinet Secretary, the CVC, the
Secretary, Department of Personnel, and the Home Secretary are
likely to meet tomorrow and shortlist the IPS officials
eligible for the post.
According to Supreme Court guidelines, officials having
experience in anti-corruption or CBI from the seniormost four
batches of IPS cadre will be empanelled, following which a
screening of three officers would be sent to the Appointments`
Committee of the Cabinet headed by Prime Minister Manmohan
Officers from 1972 batch to 1975 are likely to figure in
the list which will be scrutinised by the panel.
Official sources said the present CBI Director, a 1973
batch officer, may get an extension. A P Singh, a 1974 batch
IPS officer from Jharkhand cadre, is among the front runners.
The government will have to finalise the names to head
Intelligence Bureau and Research and Analysis Wing also as the
incumbents Rajiv Mathur and K C Verma would be retiring on
December 31 and January 31 next year.
While Nechal Sandhu is tipped to be the next
Intelligence Bureau Chief, several names, including that of
Secretary (Internal Security) U K Bansal in Union Home
Ministry, was doing the rounds for RAW Chief.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional