Hurriyat to challenge verdict in Lajpat Nagar blast case
Srinagar: The hardline faction of Hurriyat
Conference is consulting legal experts to challenge a Delhi
court`s verdict awarding death penalty to three persons
including two Kashmiris in the 1996 Lajpat Nagar blast case.
"Discussion with the lawyers are going on with regard to
Lajpat Nagar case and a writ petition is being filed in the
Indian Supreme Court shortly", Hardline Hurriyat leader Syed
Ali Shah Geelani said in a statement.
On April 22, District and Sessions Judge of Delhi S P
Garg awarded death penalty to three out of six convicted
members of militant outfit Jammu and Kashmir Islamic Front for
the 1996 Lajpat Nagar blast which had claimed 13 lives.
Renewing his appeal for donation for legal help to the
convicts, Geelani said legal assistance would not be
restricted to the convicts of Lajpat Nagar blast case alone
but would be extended to all those languishing in jails across
Jammu and Kashmir and India.
"The legal help will not only be provided to the convicts
of Lajpat Nagar blast but to all those languising in jails
across the state and India who have been implicated in fake
and unfounded cases", Geelani said in the statement.
Meanwhile, Hurriyat spokesman Ayaz Akbar said there was
positive response to Geelani`s appeal for donation.
"People from different walks of life including employees,
traders, contractors and common people are coming to the
office of Geelani and contributing towards the fund as per
their capacity. The donations for the purpose of legal help to
the convicts is beyond our expectation", the spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery