Hurriyat to challenge verdict in Lajpat Nagar blast case
Srinagar: The hardline faction of Hurriyat
Conference is consulting legal experts to challenge a Delhi
court`s verdict awarding death penalty to three persons
including two Kashmiris in the 1996 Lajpat Nagar blast case.
"Discussion with the lawyers are going on with regard to
Lajpat Nagar case and a writ petition is being filed in the
Indian Supreme Court shortly", Hardline Hurriyat leader Syed
Ali Shah Geelani said in a statement.
On April 22, District and Sessions Judge of Delhi S P
Garg awarded death penalty to three out of six convicted
members of militant outfit Jammu and Kashmir Islamic Front for
the 1996 Lajpat Nagar blast which had claimed 13 lives.
Renewing his appeal for donation for legal help to the
convicts, Geelani said legal assistance would not be
restricted to the convicts of Lajpat Nagar blast case alone
but would be extended to all those languishing in jails across
Jammu and Kashmir and India.
"The legal help will not only be provided to the convicts
of Lajpat Nagar blast but to all those languising in jails
across the state and India who have been implicated in fake
and unfounded cases", Geelani said in the statement.
Meanwhile, Hurriyat spokesman Ayaz Akbar said there was
positive response to Geelani`s appeal for donation.
"People from different walks of life including employees,
traders, contractors and common people are coming to the
office of Geelani and contributing towards the fund as per
their capacity. The donations for the purpose of legal help to
the convicts is beyond our expectation", the spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi