Husain can come back if he wants: RSS
Thiruvananthapuram: Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) `Sarasnghchalak` Mohan Bhagwat Thursday said the country`s most celebrated painter MF Hussain would face no problem from RSS if he lives in India and continuing his artistic pursuits.
Replying to questions whether the RSS would oppose the veteran`s artist`s return – after reports claimed that he has been conferred the nationality by Qatar - Bhagwat said ``why should we oppose or welcome his return.``
Clarifying that the RSS had no such opinion to oppose or welcome if Hussain wanted to come back India, he said ``we will welcome Hussain as an Indian citizen.``
However, he made it clear that ``he should not hurt the country and the people, and should understand the mindset of the society as well.``
Bhagwat said “all artists had their own freedom to work. But they should have some limitations as they should never hurt the sentiments of the other people in the society.``
Though Husain had earlier offered apology, it failed to convince groups that oppose him for painting a Hindu goddess in an objectionable manner.
He has close to 900 cases pending against him in various courts.
However, in one of his recent interviews Husain expressed his desire to return and die in the country of his origin.
As regards to the Qatari nationality offer, reports claimed that Husain had not volunteered to get Qatar nationality himself. It was actually conferred upon him by the Royal family of the princely state in recognition of his achievements.
Photographer, designer and activist Ram Rahman, who is close to the Husain family, responded to the news by saying: "The citizenship has been offered by the sheikha, the wife of the sheikh of Qatar, and it has several implications.
"On a personal note, I feel it is quite clear that the man who is 95 years old and cannot return to his country to die, there is no point of him remaining an Indian citizen."
"It would be a tragedy. He has not given up his Indian citizenship yet but if he decides to take up the Qatari offer, he will not remain an Indian citizen anymore. It is also a reflection of our legal system because the cases against him will drag on for 20-30 years.... so it is justified if he takes up the Qatari offer," Rahman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi