Husband is bound to give maintenance to separated wife: SC
New Delhi: It is the sacrosanct duty of husband to provide financial support to separated wife even if he is required to earn money with physical labour with "no escape route", the Supreme Court has said while holding that maintenance must be enough for her to lead a dignified life.
The apex court said it is the obligation of the husband to see that the wife does not become a destitute, a beggar and directed family courts to dispose of cases of maintenance, divorce, custody of child, property disputes as expeditiously as possible to ameliorate the agony and financial suffering of a woman who left her matrimonial home.
"In fact, it is the sacrosanct duty to render the financial support even if the husband is required to earn money with physical labour, if he is able bodied. There is no escape route unless there is an order from the Court that the wife is not entitled to get maintenance from the husband on any legally permissible grounds," a bench of justices Dipak Misra and V Gopala Gowda said.
Holding that wife is entitled in law to lead a life in the similar manner as she would have lived in the house of her husband, the bench said social status be also considered while fixing amount of maintenance.
"The concept of sustenance does not necessarily mean to lead the life of an animal, feel like an unperson to be thrown away from grace and roam for her basic maintenance somewhere else. She is entitled in law to lead a life in the similar manner as she would have lived in the house of her husband.
"That is where the status and strata come into play, and that is where the obligations of the husband, in case of a wife, become a prominent one. In a proceeding of this nature, the husband cannot take subterfuges to deprive her of the benefit of living with dignity," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Plea seeks imposition of Governor's rule in J&K; SC to hear matter next week
- Asthma breakthrough? Scientists find novel way to prevent the disease!
- 'Madaari' movie review: Irrfan Khan displays brilliance in this thought provoking tale
- Thai cops question UK journalist`s wife over `royal insult`
- Pokemon Go debuts in the country where Pokemon was born!