Hyd blasts: NIA granted 4 days` custody of two IM operatives
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Saturday granted NIA four-day custody of two alleged Indian Mujahideen operatives to further interrogate them in connection with the Hyderabad twin blasts that left 16 dead.
During an in-chamber hearing, District Judge IS Mehta allowed the National Investigation Agency`s (NIA) plea seeking custody of Syed Maqbool and Imran Khan to confront them with another alleged IM operative Obaid-Ur-Rehman, who has been brought from Bangalore Central Jail and is in NIA`s custody till March 20 in connection with the case, sources said.
Maqbool and Imran were brought from Tihar Jail after the court had yesterday issued production warrants against them.
Sources said the NIA told the court that they need to confront both Maqbool and Imran with Obaid-Ur-Rehman as some conflicting statements have been given by them during their separate interrogation.
The two were earlier remanded to NIA`s custody for five days by the court during which they were taken to Hyderabad in connection with the blasts.
Rehman was remanded to NIA`s custody on March 13 after the agency had submitted that his custodial interrogation was required to unearth the entire conspiracy which led to the bombings. He was brought from Bangalore jail after the court had issued a production warrant against him.
The sources had said the NIA had told the court that Rehman was a key IM operative and he may give some vital information against the banned group`s members who were involved in the blasts.
The NIA had told the court that Maqbool and Imran had revealed some important facts about the blasts, the sources had said.
Maqbool and Imran were lodged in Tihar Jail after their
arrest by Delhi Police in the August 2012 Pune blast case. The NIA had told the court that the duo recced Hyderabad`s Dilsukhnagar area where the blasts took place.
The court had also issued non-bailable warrants against IM founder Riyaz Bhatkal and nine other operatives of the banned group in connection with the Hyderabad blasts -- Iqbal Bhatkal, Mohsim Chaudhary, Amir Reza Khan, Dr Shahnawaz Alam, Asadullah Akhtar, Ariz Khan, Mohd Khalid, Mirza Shadaab Beg and Mohd Sajid.
According to the sources, the NIA had told the judge that the conspiracy behind the Hyderabad blasts was hatched by the IM modules. The NIA said the blasts took place in Hyderabad on the alleged instructions of Riyaz Bhatkal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?