Hyderabad blasts: 11 dead, 50 injured, toll may go up, says Sushilkumar Shinde
New Delhi: At least 11 people were killed and 50 injured in two near simultaneous blasts in Hyderabad and the death toll could go up, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said Thursday night.
Asked whether it was a terror attack, the minister said "it was too early to say anything and only an investigation will reveal it".
He said the two bombs were placed within a radius of 100 to 150 metres in Dilsukhnagar area in the Andhra Pradesh capital and placed in two bicycles.
"There were two blasts in Dilsukhnagar. I have spoken to the Chief Minister (Kiran Kumar Reddy) and he told me that the bombs were placed in two cycles and in one place eight people were killed and in other place three people were killed. 50 people were also injured," he told reporters here.
Asked whether the death toll could go up, the Home Minister said "it is possible that death toll will rise".
Asked whether the blasts had any links with the arrest of MIM leader Akbaruddin Owaisi, who was in jail for allegedly delivering an inflammatory speech, he said, "there is nothing like that".
Shinde said the Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister was in the spot and he told him that there was similar blast nearby Gokul Chat five years ago.
The Home Minister said the security agencies had information for the last two days about possible attack by terrorists which was shared with all the states.
He said Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had been informed and teams of National Investigation Agency and NSG`s bomb disposal squad had been rushed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez