Hyderabad issue would`ve gone to UN had Patel not been there: Advani
New Delhi: Like Jammu and Kashmir, the issue of Hyderabad Nizam`s reluctance to merge with India would have landed in the United Nations as Jawaharlal Nehru was keen to do so but Sardar Patel`s "pragmatism" saved the situation, BJP leader LK Advani said here on Saturday.
Nehru, India`s first prime minister, was against the plan of military intervention in Hyderabad by Patel, then home minister, Advani said quoting from books written by a close of Patel.
He claimed that the nizam was determined to stay independent and was threatening to kill Hindus in his territory.
"Nehru wanted to approach UN, as he did about J&K. We do not know what would have happened if Patel had listened to Nehru`s advice.... Hyderabad would have become a problem like J&K but for Patel`s pragmatism," the BJP leader said at a book release function.
The Hindi book titled "Jammu aur Kashmir ki unkahi kahani (The untold story of J&K)" has gone into details of Praja Parishad, a Jammu-based regional party which campaigned against special status for the state and later merged with Jansangh.
The book was launched to mark the birth anniversary of Syama Prasad Mookerjee, founder of Jansangh, the erstwhile avatar of BJP.
Advani said the views of Kashmiri-speaking Muslims have dominated the state`s political discourse and few people were aware about the sacrifice made by others in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!