`Hype over PM candidate to target BJP`
Jamshedpur: Hype has been created over the issue of BJP`s prime ministerial candidate after appointment of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi as Election Campaign chief to "target the party", BJP leader Yashwant Sinha Monday said.
"The party has not yet taken any decision about who would be the prime ministerial candidate or when it would be announced, but a hype has been created to target the party," Sinha told a press conference here.
Stating that none posed such questions to Congress, he said that BJP leaders were being repeatedly asked this question to capitalise on opportunity if anyone of them said something wrong.
"Did Prime Minister Manmohan Singh or the Congress declare who will be their prime ministerial candidate? Will it be from among Rahul Gandhi, A K Antony or Digvijay Singh or some other?" he asked.
Asked about Modi`s elevation, Sinha claimed it was because he has emerged as most popular leader in the country.
Senior party leader L K Advani, Leader of the Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj and Arun Jaitley in Rajya Sabha were in the front line for the post, but the party is yet to announce its prime ministerial candidate, he said.
Criticising the Congress, the BJP leader said it has become a habit of its leaders to react to each statement or action by Modi.
"Senior Congress leader Digvijay Singh is in the habit of giving baseless statements only to remain in the limelight," he claimed, adding that Congress has become desperate and fearful since Modi`s elevation.
Referring to the concern expressed by Modi over the Uttarakhand disaster and the safety of people of his state, Sinha said being Chief Minister the concern was natural and disaster should not be politicised.
"We accorded priority to relief work instead of accusing any political party or leader," he said.
The BJP can raise a finger against the Uttarakhand government headed by Vijay Bahuguna `thousand times` on the rescue operations, but none from the party did, he said.
Sinha said he saluted the Indian army and ITBP for discharging their responsibilities in the disaster affected area.
He also said the Rs 1000 crore relief package announced by the Union government was inadequate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla