Hypersonic version of BrahMos on the way
Tiruchirapalli: A hypersonic version of
BrahMos missile that can fly at Mach 7 (seven times speed of
sound) is being evaluated and companies in India and Russia
are working overtime to design and develop various components
"For this version, a new engine has to be developed, as also
new materials to withstand high temperature and vibrations.
They have got to be on board with supportive electronic
systems. Numerous industries in Russia and India are involved
in design and development of components and sub systems," Dr A
Sivathanu Pillai, CEO and MD of BrahMos Aerospace said.
He said the Indian Institute of Science and Moscow Aviation
Institute would be involved in Research and Development of
critical components for the hypersonic version.
However, details on bilateral investment and financing the
project is yet to be arrived at, Pillai said.
He said integration of BrahMos into Sukoi-30MK-I is very
much in progress with aircraft structural modification going
on at HAL. Trial flights, along with missile testing would
hopefully begin by January 2012, he said and expressed
confidence the air version would be commissioned by that year.
He said BrahMos Aerospace has augmented production at all
three of manufacturing centres in Hyderabad, Pilani and
Thiruvanathanpuram to cater to the substantial orders received
from the armed forces.
Pillai said they would soon bring out revised missile
versions with fresh Seeker heads with precision delivery.
Presently, 20 major industries and 20 plus small and medium
enterprises across India are involved in producing various
components and accessories for BrahMos missile project.
BrahMos is a stealth supersonic cruise missile that can be
launched from submarines, ships, aircraft or land. It is a
joint venture between India`s Defence Research and Development
Organisation and Russia`s NPO Mashinostroeyenia who have
together formed BrahMos Aerospace Private Limited.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested