I accept my nomination for VP poll with all humility: Ansari
New Delhi: Incumbent Hamid Ansari, who was named as UPA`s nominee for Vice-Presidential election, on Saturday said he accepts the decision with "all humility" and thanked all political parties who supported his name.
"I thank the Prime Minister, the UPA Chairperson, ingredient members of the UPA and those parties which have supported my candidature and for the confidence reposed in me for shouldering once again the responsibility of this high office," he said soon after his name was endorsed at a meeting of UPA partners.
He said he accepts the candidature "in all humility". Before Ansari made the brief statement to reporters, Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal drove to the Vice-President`s House to officially convey UPA`s decision.
Bansal said the name of Ansari for the post of the Vice-President for a second term was decided in view of the "dignity and distinction with which he conducted and presided over the Rajya Sabha in the first term."
It is learnt that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Congress President Sonia Gandhi and BSP chief Mayawati spoke with Ansari earlier today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- US tries to stop feuding allies from unraveling Syria strategy
- After Rio disappointment, Yogeshwar Dutt receives boost with London 2012 medal upgrade
- First look: Karan Johar's 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' posters will leave you intrigued – View inside
- Facebook promoted fake news story on Trending Topics
- IIT Bombay alumnus named CEO of US firm ANSYS