I am considered as `Ravana`: Jairam Ramesh
Bhopal: Unhappy with his critics, Union
Forest and Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh today said that
he was being considered as `Ravana; to the development
"I am being considered as Ravana to the development
projects," Ramesh told the NGOs at the sixth public
consultation organised about the Green Mission at Indian
Forest Management Institute here.
Without naming anyone, the Minister said that he was
being considered as a person putting hassles to development
projects. "Our department is being shown as the enemy of
development which was not the case," he said.
"The biggest challenge for us is to strike a balance
between environment and development," he said.
The Minister said that he was winning praises from the
NGOs and other people in regard to environment protection but
was at the receiving ends from others, whom he did not name.
"I get garlands from you all but chappals from
others," he told the gathering.
He said that deforestation can`t be stopped
completely in the country but there was a room to put a check
"Of course, development is essential and the work of
‘National Green Mission draft by July-end’
The draft of the ambitious green
mission to increase the forest cover and enhance eco-system
services will be finalised by month-end, Ramesh said.
"The draft document for the mission will be finalised by
this month-end and then will be submitted to the Prime
Minister," he said
"National Mission for a Green India" aims at increasing
the forest cover by 10 million hectares by 2020 and enhance
eco-system services at an estimated cost of Rs 44,000 crore.
The last public consultation on the draft will take
place in Mysore on Monday, Ramesh said.
He said de-greening can`t be stopped completely in the
country but there was room to put a check on it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader