I am considered as `Ravana`: Jairam Ramesh
Bhopal: Unhappy with his critics, Union
Forest and Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh today said that
he was being considered as `Ravana; to the development
"I am being considered as Ravana to the development
projects," Ramesh told the NGOs at the sixth public
consultation organised about the Green Mission at Indian
Forest Management Institute here.
Without naming anyone, the Minister said that he was
being considered as a person putting hassles to development
projects. "Our department is being shown as the enemy of
development which was not the case," he said.
"The biggest challenge for us is to strike a balance
between environment and development," he said.
The Minister said that he was winning praises from the
NGOs and other people in regard to environment protection but
was at the receiving ends from others, whom he did not name.
"I get garlands from you all but chappals from
others," he told the gathering.
He said that deforestation can`t be stopped
completely in the country but there was a room to put a check
"Of course, development is essential and the work of
‘National Green Mission draft by July-end’
The draft of the ambitious green
mission to increase the forest cover and enhance eco-system
services will be finalised by month-end, Ramesh said.
"The draft document for the mission will be finalised by
this month-end and then will be submitted to the Prime
Minister," he said
"National Mission for a Green India" aims at increasing
the forest cover by 10 million hectares by 2020 and enhance
eco-system services at an estimated cost of Rs 44,000 crore.
The last public consultation on the draft will take
place in Mysore on Monday, Ramesh said.
He said de-greening can`t be stopped completely in the
country but there was room to put a check on it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Cow slaughter should be banned across the country; Muslims should stop eating meat: Azam Khan
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!