I am honoured and grateful to govt: Lt Gen Bikram Singh
Kolkata: Chief of Army Staff designate Lt Gen Bikram Singh on Saturday said he was honoured and grateful to the government for having reposed confidence in him and appointing him as the next army chief to succeed Gen VK Singh.
"I am honoured and grateful to the government for having reposed confidence in me and having appointing me as the next chief of the arm staff", Lt Gen Bikram Singh, now General Officer Commanding-in-Chief (GOC-in-C) of Eastern Command said in a statement here.
Earlier in the day, the suspense over the next Army Chief came end ed with the government announcing Lt Gen Bikram Singh as the successor to Gen VK Singh who recently lost his battle over the age issue.
59-year-old Lt Gen Singh, the Eastern Army Commander, will head the 13-lakh strong force and have a tenure of just over two years till August 2014 from May 31.
Lt Gen Bikram Singh, the second Sikh to lead the Indian Army after Gen JJ Singh, has served in various key positions including as the Commander of Srinagar-based 15 Corps during the height of militancy in the valley.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof