I am not for arming a militia: Ramdev
Haridwar: Under attack for his proposal
to raise an armed force, Baba Ramdev Thursday said he was not trying to train terrorists or Maoists and that he was against violence.
"I am not making terrorists, Naxalites and Maoists. I
am only developing a nationalist force. It is for
self-defence," Ramdev, who is continuing his fast against
corruption, told his followers at Patanjali Yogapeeth here.
He was reacting to a volley of criticism on his plans
to raise a 11,000-strong force to deal with police and
anti-social elements attempting to disrupt his anti-corruption
"If our women are able to safeguard themselves then
nobody will dare to harm them and if our men are able then
they can defend any Ramlila ground-type attack," he said.
"My words should be taken in the right context. People
should understand what I have said. I want to train them for
self-defence. Shaastra means knowledge and shastra means
self-defence," Ramdev said, referring to his comments
yesterday that young men will be trained in both shaastra
(vedas) and shastra (weapons).
Criticising the yoga guru, Home Minister P Chidambaram
had said yesterday that "by making that statement, he (Ramdev)
has exposed his true colours and true intentions. Let him do
so and the law will deal with that..You have to observe some
"It is anti-national and we have to take action,"
said V Narayanswamy, Minister of State in the Prime Minister`s
Congress said Ramdev`s call for an armed rebellion
is a serious issue and hoped that the government will take
appropriate action to uphold the Constitution and maintain law
The yoga guru, who is on a fast since June 4 demanding
that black money stashed away abroad be brought back, said his
hunger strike will continue till his demands are met.
"Fast will continue till my objective is achieved. I
do not care even if I die. The fast will go on," Ramdev said.
He also said that his trust Patanjali Yogapeeth will
bear all expenses for the treatment of people injured in the
police action at Ramlila grounds, especially Rajbala who has
been grievously hurt.
Doctors attending to Ramdev here have said that his
condition is deteriorating.
"He is stable but continuously losing weight. We have
asked him to end fast soon," they said.
Meanwhile, scores of volunteers have been deployed
around yagya shala, where Ramdev is holding his fast and are
keeping a close vigil on the visitors.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH