I apologise, it’s a blot: Governor on Presidency University vandalism
Kolkata: West Bengal Governor MK Narayanan on Friday apologised to the students of Presidency University for the violence carried out by alleged Trinamool Congress youth wing activists.
Addressing the Kolkata-based institution, Narayanan, who is also the Chancellor of the prestigious university said, "I accept that as Governor and Chancellor, I have failed in my responsibility to you. I apologise to students of all universities of Kolkata and Bengal for what has happened."
Expressing regret over the incident, Narayanan said, “We believed West Bengal was safest place for girls and women…but I don’t know what happened to the culture.”
The Governor described the violence at Presidency University as a ‘blot’ and said such unfortunate incidents shouldn’t happen again.
"It is unprecedented and should never have happened. It is a blot on our hopes for the future and our ambitions to make this a centre of excellence," Narayanan said.
Narayanan also assured of a fair probe saying that he has asked the Police Commissioner to prevent such incidents from happening in future.
"I will wait for what the police investigation reveals. How the goons entered the university premises. For next few weeks, I will try to put in place a mechanism so that you do not undergo such a trauma," he said.
Addressing the students, the Presidency University Chancellor further said that he was not in the college to blame any political party but to provide support to the students.
The attack on Wednesday saw a mob storm the campus and use spears and other weapons to attack students and property.
Armed with sticks and rods, Trinamool Congress Chhatra Parishad members allegedly stormed the Presidency University campus Wednesday, assaulting students, including women, and vandalised its famous physics department.
The miscreants ransacked the heritage, century-old Baker`s Building which houses the physics laboratory where eminent scientists like Jagadish Chandra Bose, Satyendra Nath Bose and Meghnad Saha conducted research.
Vice chancellor Malabika Sarkar, who has gone on record as saying that the vandals carried the ruling Trinamool Congress party`s flags during the attack, asked Trinamool chief and Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee and Governor MK Narayanan to ensure that the miscreants get exemplary punishment.
The vandalism was part of a series of alleged statewide retaliatory attacks after Trinamool supremo Banerjee and her Finance Minister Amit Mitra were Tuesday heckled in Delhi by activists of the Students Federation of India, the students wing of the Communist Party of India-Marxist.
The West Bengal Human Rights Commission has ordered a probe by police as well as an independent inquiry by former Presidency University principal Amol Mukhopadhyay, into the attack on Presidency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday