I came to act in films, says Ajmal Kasab
Mumbai: The lone arrested Mumbai attacker Ajmal Amir Kasab on Friday retracted from his previous statement in which he had confessed to his role in the 26/11 terror attacks last year. However, in a surprise admission before the Special Trial Court, Kasab said he knew suspected LeT operative David Coleman Headley, who is now in US custody and is accused of planning the Mumbai terror attacks.
Clearly trying to hoodwink the investigators, Kasab made bizarre statements and told the court that he came to Mumbai 20 days before November 26 to work in Bollywood. He was then arrested by the Mumbai Police and later handed over to the crime branch on the intervening night of the Mumbai attacks.
"On the night of November 25, I was roaming in Juhu. I
had gone to see a movie when the local police arrested me,"
Kasab told the court.
He also told the court that he was arranging for a
house in Mumbai.
The lone captured terrorist further said that on
November 27, he was produced before a magistrate who then took
"I have not given any confession before the magistrate
and my statement has been falsely implicated," Kasab added.
Kasab further claimed that "The police have killed the
main accused who resembles me and they told me that his name
was Abu Ali."
"I am his look alike. His height and face resembles
mine," Kasab said, saying he was arrested to replace the dead terrorist.
He rejected the evidence of a witness, Bharat Tamore, that he was seen with 10 terrorists at Badhwar Park when they got down from a dinghy there.
Kasab said that "do baatein bolkar khatam karma chaahtha hoon, aaj bhi mujhe bolne ka mauka nahin mila tho..." (I want to finish by saying two lines, if I don`t get a chance to speak then...)
Asked about the dinghy, Kasab said that he did not know anything about the dingy. "I saw the dingy for the first time in the court," he said.
The case of the prosecution is that the terrorists had reached Mumbai on a dingy.
He also made the atrocious claim that he had never seen AK-47 rifle in his life.
And the bizarre story continued, with Kasab in a suo moto confession saying that he had met Headley in prison as a foreigner. However, the court promptly stopped him saying that the case had nothing to do with Headley.
“He told the court he came to know about Headley through newspaper. He is to file an appeal about the foreigners who came to interrogate him,” the defence counsel said after the hearing.
Kasab denied that he had told the Magistrate that he and Abu Ismail had hired a taxi to reach CST.
He also claimed that he had not told the Magistrate that Ismail was in the driver`s seat and he himself was sitting behind and that he planted a bomb underneath the driver`s seat while Ismail was talking to the driver.
"I did not tell the Magistrate that on reaching CST that they saw a lesser crowd than what was shown to them in a training camp in Pakistan," Kasab said.
"I did not contact Abu Hamza (absconding accused). My
mobile Sony Ericsson was lost and I was not in a position to
talk to anybody," he said.
To a question that witness Natwarlal, father of an
11-year-old girl, who was injured in the attack, had seen him
and another terrorist at CST, Kasab replied that he was not
"Maybe Natwarlal had said that there was firing on
people but I was not there -- I don`t know," Kasab said.
To another question that Natwarlal had recognised him
in court, he said that anybody could recognise him "by having
seen my photograph in newspapers."
About Abu Ismail, Kasab said that "I don`t know who he
is. Ismail may have been involved in the attack but I don`t
Dressed in a white kurta, Kasab entered the court at
11:30 hours and was not placed in the dock but was asked to sit
in the witness box on a stool.
Kasab`s medical report was perused by the court and
the judge noted that he did not have any mental illness.
"There is nothing of adverse concern. He does not have
any complaint (and) as such he is fit to give a statement,"
the judge said.
A medical examination of Kasab was conducted because
his lawyer, K B Pawar, had earlier told the court that Kasab
was not fit to give a statement.
When asked what his age was, Kasab said that he was
about 20 years.
Enquiries were made about his age and it was found
that he was not a juvenile at the time of the offence and,
therefore, he was tried by the court, the judge said.
The judge also noted that Kasab was not a juvenile
when the crime was committed.
This is for the second time that Kasab has retracted from his statement.
With Inputs from PTI
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Suresh Raina denies Lalit Modi's match-fixing allegation, mulls legal action against former IPL boss