I can vouch for former IAF chief`s integrity: Raju
New Delhi: HRD Minister MM Pallam Raju, who was minister of state for Defence when the deal for procuring 12 choppers from Italian firm Finmeccanica was signed in 2010, on Wednesday said he can "vouch for the integrity" of former IAF chief SP Tyagi, whose name has surfaced in the scam.
"I think it was somebody who was distantly related to him... From what I read in the media. But I can vouch for his integrity," Raju told reporters here reacting to a query on allegations about Tyagi.
He also said Defence Minister AK Antony acts tough when such allegations are made and the ministry acts "immediately" if any deviation from procedure brought in to its notice.
"Antony has a zero tolerance policy as far as these things are concerned. And anything is, if any deviation from procedure, or if any irregularities brought to the notice of the government, we act on it immediately," he said.
Former Air Chief Marshal Tyagi has refuted allegations that he was paid bribes to swing a Rs 3,600 crore deal for procuring choppers from Italian firm to ferry VVIPS.
In February 2010, India had inked the Rs 3,600 crore deal to acquire the 12 three-engine AW-101 helicopters from AgustaWestland for IAF`s elite Communication Squadron, which ferries the President, PM and other VVIPs.
Names of Tyagi`s three cousins Julie, Docsa and Sandeep Tyagi have also figured in reports suggesting that they had also a role to play in clinching the deal. He has denied that his relationship with his cousins had any business dimension.
The deal came under the scanner of Italian agencies after allegations of kickbacks given in India surfaced.
The agencies arrested Giuseppe Orsi, the head of Italian defence and aerospace giant Finmeccanica on Monday as part of their probe related to international corruption.
After the arrest of Finmeccanica`s head yesterday in Italy in connection with the controversial deal, the Defence Ministry here ordered a CBI probe into the charges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir