I-card for disabled persons for train ticket concession
New Delhi: Railways will issue photo identity cards to physically-challenged persons to enable them to avail concessions in train tickets in a hassle-free manner.
The photo I-card can be used to book concessional tickets through both ticket counters as well as through the Internet.
The card with a unique ID number will have to be carried during journey and produced for onboard verification, said a senior Railway Ministry official.
Till now, a physically challenged person used to fill the concession form and produce all relevant documents at the ticket reservation counter to avail the concession in train tickets.
There were complaints from differently-abled persons as well as from social activists who were demanding a hassle-free system.
As per the new system, phyisically-challenged persons will have to approach the nearest Divisional Railway Manager office along with all the relevant documents in original claiming concession and passport size photograph for issuing photo identity card.
The differently-abled is also required to provide a mobile number for communication while applying for the card, the official said.
After due verification by the concerned zonal railways, a photo identity card will be printed containing a unique ID. An automated SMS will be sent to the passenger on given mobile number to collect the card showing the original concession certificate.
"After getting the card, the person is not required to fill any concessional form to avail the facility at the counter. Even tickets can be booked on the Internet using the ID number written on the card," he said.
The validity of the card will be for five years or the last date up to which concession certificate is valid.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads - Part II
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- Panel discussion over rights of Muslim women
- DNA: How passengers risk their lives while travelling by train - Part II
- DNA: How passengers risk their lives while travelling by train
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...