I could have become Delhi police chief: Kiran Bedi
Mumbai: Speaking at a global symposium here, India`s first woman IPS officer Kiran Bedi said that had she made some compromises, she would have become the first woman police chief of the national capital.
Bedi participated in a panel discussion on `conversations on social activism` during the day-long symposium titled `Women changing India`, organised by Barnard College, USA, on Friday.
She talked about how, if she had wanted, she could have become Delhi`s first woman police commissioner. Some bureaucrats and politicians "conspired" to see that Delhi did not get a woman police chief, she said.
"I could have compromised to become the Delhi CP but I did not. Had I done so, my self-esteem would have gone down," the cop-turned-activist said.
Other than Bedi, the session had Mirai Chatterjee, director of social security at Self Employed Women`s Association; Shaheen Mistri, founder of Teach for India and Gita Sen, professor at the Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore, as speakers.
"Women are critical stakeholders in India. They are leaders in their communities, in economic development, in activist movements, in corporate board rooms – their influence is really at the heart of everything happening here," said Debora Spar, president of Barnard College.
The panel talk on `Voices of the region` highlighted major contributors to arts and media in India, and speakers included Nandita Das, Farah Khan, journalist Mallika Kapur and Brinda Somaya, architect and conservationist.
The discussion on `Empowering women through enterprise` drew some high-profile women leaders in varied sectors, including Vedika Bhandarkar, managing director and vice chairman of Credit Suisse India; Chhavi Rajawat, sarpanch of Soda village in Rajasthan; Shaina NC, fashion designer and BJP politician; and Zia Mody, corporate lawyer.
The annual symposium was previously held in Beijing in 2009, in Dubai in 2010, and in Johannesburg in 2011. The series will continue next year in Brazil.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price