I didn`t term Maoists as `Gandhians with Guns`: Arundhati Roy
Mumbai: Noted writer and Naxal sympathiser
Arundhati Roy today clarified that she never termed Maoists as
`Gandhians with Guns`.
"I never called them Gandhians with guns. It was a blurb
carried by a magazine. What I meant was that they (Naxals) are
more Gandhian than any other Gandhian in their consumption
pattern...their lifestyle, which is in stark contrast to their
violent means of resistance," said the 48-year-old Booker
Arundhati drew a lot of flak for the reported comments,
especially after the Dantewada Naxal attack claiming lives of
76 security personnel for calling Naxals as `Gandhians with
"I in fact have also written a letter in the next issue
of the same magazine which carried my article, `Walking With
The Comrades` clarifying my point and stand, she said
addressing a lecture `The War on People` organised by the
Committee for Protection of Democratic Rights here today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid