I didn`t term Maoists as `Gandhians with Guns`: Arundhati Roy
Mumbai: Noted writer and Naxal sympathiser
Arundhati Roy today clarified that she never termed Maoists as
`Gandhians with Guns`.
"I never called them Gandhians with guns. It was a blurb
carried by a magazine. What I meant was that they (Naxals) are
more Gandhian than any other Gandhian in their consumption
pattern...their lifestyle, which is in stark contrast to their
violent means of resistance," said the 48-year-old Booker
Arundhati drew a lot of flak for the reported comments,
especially after the Dantewada Naxal attack claiming lives of
76 security personnel for calling Naxals as `Gandhians with
"I in fact have also written a letter in the next issue
of the same magazine which carried my article, `Walking With
The Comrades` clarifying my point and stand, she said
addressing a lecture `The War on People` organised by the
Committee for Protection of Democratic Rights here today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter