I had nothing to do with Babri demolition: Vaghela
Ahmedabad: Former BJP leader and Congressman
Shankersinh Vaghela, whose name figures in the Liberhan
Commission report, today denied having played any role in the
Babri demolition or the Ram Janmabhoomi movement.
According to the former Chief Minister, he was not
present at the venue when the mosque was demolished on
December 6, 1992, and said and he never participated in any
manner in the movement which culminated into the razing of the
medieval era structure at Ayodhya.
Vaghela, who parted ways with BJP in 1996, is now a
senior Congress leader in Gujarat and was Textiles Minister in
the first UPA Government.
"I have not seen the report but I heard that my name is
there. Since I was with BJP then, my name has been dragged
into the issue," he said, adding, "I had nothing to do with
the issue at all."
Vaghela said he never appeared before the one-man inquiry
panel, which also did not call him for deposition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened