I have shed my blood in Kashmir Valley: Army Chief
New Delhi: Army Chief Gen Bikram Singh, who has spent a major part of his 40 years of service in Jammu and Kashmir, Monday recalled his days in the Valley saying that he has "shed his blood" there as he was wounded in a terrorist incident there.
"Kashmir Valley is always in my mind. I have shed my blood as I was hit by a bullet while serving there. I have done a number of tenures in that area as I commanded the 15 Corps and the 10 Division and my battalion also there," he said.
The Army Chief was interacting with a group of children from Lolab Valley in Kashmir visiting different parts of the country under the Operation Sadbhavna of the force.
As a Brigadier, the Army Chief was hit by a bullet in a terrorist attack when he was commanding the 1 Sector Rashtriya Rifles in south Kashmir.
The Army Chief was on his way back to Anantnag after visiting various army units. When the army convoy stopped at Janglat Mandi, a militant disguised as a beggar opened indiscriminate fire upon the Armymen.
The Army Chief has done the important command tenures in battalion, brigade, division and Corps in the state only.
He promised the children that he would visit their school whenever he is Jammu and Kashmir the next time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say