I joined BJP to help Narendra Modi become PM: Yeddyurappa
Bangalore: Former Chief Minister of Karnataka, B.S Yeddyurappa, said on Friday that he rejoined the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) because he wants to help Narendra Modi become the prime minister of the country.
Yeddyurappa met the state assembly Speaker for the merger of his party Karnataka Janata Paksha (KJP) with the BJP.
"We have taken decision to merge KJP with the Bharatiya Janata Party and that same resolution has been handed over to the Speaker just now, and in the interest of the country and only hope in the country is Narendra Modi," he said.
The BJP forced Yeddyurappa to resign as Karnataka`s Chief Minister in July 2011 after ombudsman report indicted him in the illegal mining case.
Sidelined by the BJP top leadership, he subsequently quit the party and formed KJP.
Taking a dig at BJP, Congress leader Ambika Soni said the party`s claim to fight corruption is completely hollow.
"Their claim to fight and eradicate corruption sounds hollow. Yesterday, Yeddyurappa has joined them. Has he suddenly become honest? They think that in the coming elections they are likely to benefit in two to four seats but they have ignored his corrupt image," said Ambika Soni in New Delhi.
Janata Dal-United (JD-U) also echoed similar sentiments.
"Their fight was incomplete without Yeddyurappa, now it will be complete. This is complete hypocrisy," added JD-U leader Shivanand Tiwari.
In May 2013 assembly polls, the KJP had secured six seats and 10 per cent vote share but it managed to unseat the first BJP state government in the state and the Congress party came to power.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal