I joined BJP to help Narendra Modi become PM: Yeddyurappa
Bangalore: Former Chief Minister of Karnataka, B.S Yeddyurappa, said on Friday that he rejoined the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) because he wants to help Narendra Modi become the prime minister of the country.
Yeddyurappa met the state assembly Speaker for the merger of his party Karnataka Janata Paksha (KJP) with the BJP.
"We have taken decision to merge KJP with the Bharatiya Janata Party and that same resolution has been handed over to the Speaker just now, and in the interest of the country and only hope in the country is Narendra Modi," he said.
The BJP forced Yeddyurappa to resign as Karnataka`s Chief Minister in July 2011 after ombudsman report indicted him in the illegal mining case.
Sidelined by the BJP top leadership, he subsequently quit the party and formed KJP.
Taking a dig at BJP, Congress leader Ambika Soni said the party`s claim to fight corruption is completely hollow.
"Their claim to fight and eradicate corruption sounds hollow. Yesterday, Yeddyurappa has joined them. Has he suddenly become honest? They think that in the coming elections they are likely to benefit in two to four seats but they have ignored his corrupt image," said Ambika Soni in New Delhi.
Janata Dal-United (JD-U) also echoed similar sentiments.
"Their fight was incomplete without Yeddyurappa, now it will be complete. This is complete hypocrisy," added JD-U leader Shivanand Tiwari.
In May 2013 assembly polls, the KJP had secured six seats and 10 per cent vote share but it managed to unseat the first BJP state government in the state and the Congress party came to power.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack