I lost dear friend, valued colleague: PM on Deshmukh`s demise
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Tuesday expressed shock and deep sorrow over the demise of Vilasrao Deshmukh, saying he had lost a "dear friend and a very valued colleague".
In his condolence message, Singh paid tributes to the deceased Union Minister and former Maharashtra Chief Minister, noting that he was an able administrator who distinguished himself in a wide range of public positions.
"Mr Deshmukh was a trusted colleague and an able administrator who worked at panchayat, state and central levels with admirable dedication," he said.
In a message to the deceased`s wife Vaishali, the Prime Minister said, "It is with shock and deep sorrow that I have learnt of the passing away of your husband Shri Vilasrao Deshmukh."
Singh said Deshmukh was a senior Congressman widely respected for his leadership and "in a public career of about four decades, he served the country and the state of Maharashtra with a passionate commitment for the public good".
Noting that Deshmukh had distinguished himself in a wide range of public positions, the Prime Minister said, "In the passing away of Vilasraoji, I have lost a dear friend and a very valued colleague. The country and the state of Maharashtra have lost an illustrious son."
Singh pointed out that Deshmukh had served well in public positions he held from the panchayat to the national level, including as Member of the Maharashtra Legislative Assembly for 25 years, as Chief Minister of Maharashtra for two terms and as a Union Cabinet Minister.
"On this sad occasion, I convey my heartfelt condolences to you and other members of the family, and to Deshmukhji`s followers and admirers," he said, adding, "I join all of you in praying for the departed soul."
Deshmukh a leader who was in touch with grassroots: Prez
President Pranab Mukherjee also paid rich tributes to late Union Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh describing him as a "towering" leader who was always in touch with the grassroots of society".
"I am deeply saddened to learn about the passing away of your husband, Vilasrao Deshmukh. Deshmukh was an esteemed colleague and a dear friend. He was a veteran politician and an able administrator who served the nation in different spheres. He was always concerned about the welfare and upliftment of the poor and downtrodden," Mukherjee said in a condolence message to Deshmukh`s wife.
Mukherjee described Deshmukh as "a towering leader of Maharashtra" and said his "immense contribution to the welfare of the state as Chief Minister will always be remembered".
"In his passing away, the nation has lost a personality who was always in touch with the grassroots of society," the President said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly