I lost dear friend, valued colleague: PM on Deshmukh`s demise
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Tuesday expressed shock and deep sorrow over the demise of Vilasrao Deshmukh, saying he had lost a "dear friend and a very valued colleague".
In his condolence message, Singh paid tributes to the deceased Union Minister and former Maharashtra Chief Minister, noting that he was an able administrator who distinguished himself in a wide range of public positions.
"Mr Deshmukh was a trusted colleague and an able administrator who worked at panchayat, state and central levels with admirable dedication," he said.
In a message to the deceased`s wife Vaishali, the Prime Minister said, "It is with shock and deep sorrow that I have learnt of the passing away of your husband Shri Vilasrao Deshmukh."
Singh said Deshmukh was a senior Congressman widely respected for his leadership and "in a public career of about four decades, he served the country and the state of Maharashtra with a passionate commitment for the public good".
Noting that Deshmukh had distinguished himself in a wide range of public positions, the Prime Minister said, "In the passing away of Vilasraoji, I have lost a dear friend and a very valued colleague. The country and the state of Maharashtra have lost an illustrious son."
Singh pointed out that Deshmukh had served well in public positions he held from the panchayat to the national level, including as Member of the Maharashtra Legislative Assembly for 25 years, as Chief Minister of Maharashtra for two terms and as a Union Cabinet Minister.
"On this sad occasion, I convey my heartfelt condolences to you and other members of the family, and to Deshmukhji`s followers and admirers," he said, adding, "I join all of you in praying for the departed soul."
Deshmukh a leader who was in touch with grassroots: Prez
President Pranab Mukherjee also paid rich tributes to late Union Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh describing him as a "towering" leader who was always in touch with the grassroots of society".
"I am deeply saddened to learn about the passing away of your husband, Vilasrao Deshmukh. Deshmukh was an esteemed colleague and a dear friend. He was a veteran politician and an able administrator who served the nation in different spheres. He was always concerned about the welfare and upliftment of the poor and downtrodden," Mukherjee said in a condolence message to Deshmukh`s wife.
Mukherjee described Deshmukh as "a towering leader of Maharashtra" and said his "immense contribution to the welfare of the state as Chief Minister will always be remembered".
"In his passing away, the nation has lost a personality who was always in touch with the grassroots of society," the President said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional