‘I quit as govt appointed Special Counsel in 2G’
New Delhi: Solicitor General Gopal Subramanium on Sunday said that he tendered his resignation as a Special Counsel was appointed to represent the government in the 2G
spectrum case without taking him into confidence, which was
"I tendered my resignation largely because of the
appointment of Special Counsel (private lawyer) to represent
Union of India in the 2G matter. I think without my consent it
was not correct and it was an unfair decision," he said to a news agency.
Asked whether he would stick to the decision to quit the
office of the Solicitor General, Subramanium said he will not
comment on it now.
He said only after he came to know that a private lawyer
has been engaged, he offered to resign.
Subramanium is understood to have protested before
Law Minister Veerappa Moily the move to take back the file
relating to the case from him and handing it over to a private
lawyer junior to him.
Moily will soon talk to Subramanium to persuade him not to
press for his resignation even as he met President Pratibha
Patil today. Subramanium, however, declined to comment on his
meeting with the President.
Sources said Moily will talk to Subramanium to clear
the air since he has expressed his desire to quit following
the appointment of a private lawyer to appear before the
Supreme Court in a case related to an affidavit filed by an
NGO against Telecom Minister Kapil Sibal.
The government is confident that Subramanium will
understand and continue to represent the Telecom Ministry in
the 2G case, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction - Part II
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!