‘I quit as govt appointed Special Counsel in 2G’
New Delhi: Solicitor General Gopal Subramanium on Sunday said that he tendered his resignation as a Special Counsel was appointed to represent the government in the 2G
spectrum case without taking him into confidence, which was
"I tendered my resignation largely because of the
appointment of Special Counsel (private lawyer) to represent
Union of India in the 2G matter. I think without my consent it
was not correct and it was an unfair decision," he said to a news agency.
Asked whether he would stick to the decision to quit the
office of the Solicitor General, Subramanium said he will not
comment on it now.
He said only after he came to know that a private lawyer
has been engaged, he offered to resign.
Subramanium is understood to have protested before
Law Minister Veerappa Moily the move to take back the file
relating to the case from him and handing it over to a private
lawyer junior to him.
Moily will soon talk to Subramanium to persuade him not to
press for his resignation even as he met President Pratibha
Patil today. Subramanium, however, declined to comment on his
meeting with the President.
Sources said Moily will talk to Subramanium to clear
the air since he has expressed his desire to quit following
the appointment of a private lawyer to appear before the
Supreme Court in a case related to an affidavit filed by an
NGO against Telecom Minister Kapil Sibal.
The government is confident that Subramanium will
understand and continue to represent the Telecom Ministry in
the 2G case, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Watch Video - World's highest glass-bottom bridge opens in China 600 feet above a canyon!
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony