‘I quit as govt appointed Special Counsel in 2G’
New Delhi: Solicitor General Gopal Subramanium on Sunday said that he tendered his resignation as a Special Counsel was appointed to represent the government in the 2G
spectrum case without taking him into confidence, which was
"I tendered my resignation largely because of the
appointment of Special Counsel (private lawyer) to represent
Union of India in the 2G matter. I think without my consent it
was not correct and it was an unfair decision," he said to a news agency.
Asked whether he would stick to the decision to quit the
office of the Solicitor General, Subramanium said he will not
comment on it now.
He said only after he came to know that a private lawyer
has been engaged, he offered to resign.
Subramanium is understood to have protested before
Law Minister Veerappa Moily the move to take back the file
relating to the case from him and handing it over to a private
lawyer junior to him.
Moily will soon talk to Subramanium to persuade him not to
press for his resignation even as he met President Pratibha
Patil today. Subramanium, however, declined to comment on his
meeting with the President.
Sources said Moily will talk to Subramanium to clear
the air since he has expressed his desire to quit following
the appointment of a private lawyer to appear before the
Supreme Court in a case related to an affidavit filed by an
NGO against Telecom Minister Kapil Sibal.
The government is confident that Subramanium will
understand and continue to represent the Telecom Ministry in
the 2G case, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video