‘I quit as govt appointed Special Counsel in 2G’
New Delhi: Solicitor General Gopal Subramanium on Sunday said that he tendered his resignation as a Special Counsel was appointed to represent the government in the 2G
spectrum case without taking him into confidence, which was
"I tendered my resignation largely because of the
appointment of Special Counsel (private lawyer) to represent
Union of India in the 2G matter. I think without my consent it
was not correct and it was an unfair decision," he said to a news agency.
Asked whether he would stick to the decision to quit the
office of the Solicitor General, Subramanium said he will not
comment on it now.
He said only after he came to know that a private lawyer
has been engaged, he offered to resign.
Subramanium is understood to have protested before
Law Minister Veerappa Moily the move to take back the file
relating to the case from him and handing it over to a private
lawyer junior to him.
Moily will soon talk to Subramanium to persuade him not to
press for his resignation even as he met President Pratibha
Patil today. Subramanium, however, declined to comment on his
meeting with the President.
Sources said Moily will talk to Subramanium to clear
the air since he has expressed his desire to quit following
the appointment of a private lawyer to appear before the
Supreme Court in a case related to an affidavit filed by an
NGO against Telecom Minister Kapil Sibal.
The government is confident that Subramanium will
understand and continue to represent the Telecom Ministry in
the 2G case, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday