I refused pat-down search at US airport: India`s UN envoy
New York/New Delhi: One of India`s top
most diplomats, Hardeep Puri, Ambassador to the United
Nations, was asked to remove his turban during an airport
`pat-down` search in the US but he refused to oblige, instead opting for another procedure.
Talking to a TV channel, Puri said the incident occurred at the Houston Airport on November 13 when he was asked by authorities at the airport to remove his turban for ‘pat-down’ check, but he refused.
“I told them I wanted to opt for another procedure where a passenger could pat down his own turban…but they were not aware of this,” he said.
All of this took about half an hour when I was kept in a ‘holding room’, after which they apologised to me, Puri added. India has lodged a strong protest following the
The incident comes close on the heels of Indian Ambassador to the US
Meera Shankar being subjected to a `pat-down` search earlier
this month. The US deputy chief of mission in India, Donald Lu, was summoned by New Delhi to protest against the incident two days back.
India has lodged an official protest with US
authorities through its Consulate General in Houston, sources
said in New Delhi.
"I have taken it up with the US authorities and the
matter is at that stage. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton
has also give an indication to the fact that they have to
revisit some of these procedures, particularly with reference
to diplomatic cover of other countries," External Affairs
Minister S M Krishna said in New Delhi when asked about these
Former Indian diplomats have reacted to the latest incident by pointing out that there should be reciprocal treatment of foreign envoys in India.
"The issue is not just of diplomats, but also of our Sikh brethren, whose issue we had taken up several times," former Indian ambassador to US, Ronen Sen told a television channel.
He said the security check of Puri`s turban violated the reassurances given by US authorities on sensitivity in handling religious symbols during checks. "We had explained to them that a pagri (turban) that a Sikh wears is not a headgear. It is a religious symbol, which should be treated with respect," said Sen.
On December 4, Shankar was pulled out from an airport
security line and patted down by an American security agent in
Mississippi despite informing them of her diplomatic status.
Shankar was subjected to an enhanced security pat-down
at the Jackson-Evers International Airport in Mississippi,
ostensibly because she was dressed in a sari.
In the past, many prominent Indians, including
ministers, have faced some uncomfortable moments at US
In September, visiting Civil Aviation Minister Praful
Patel was quizzed by US immigration authorities at the O`Hare
airport in Chicago after his name and date of birth matched
with that of another Praful Patel, who is on America`s
In August 2009, Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan was
detained and questioned at the Newark Liberty International
Airport. Khan was headed to Chicago for a parade to celebrate
India`s Independence Day, when he was pulled aside by airport
authorities for interrogation.
Former Defence Minister George Fernandes had claimed
that he was strip-searched twice at Dulles Airport in the US
Capital area, when he was on an official visit to Washington
in early 2002 and another time while en route to Brazil in mid
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception