I respect SC`s verdict on PJ Thomas: PM
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Thursday said he respected the Supreme Court verdict on the quashing of the appointment of PJ Thomas as Central Vigilance Commissioner.
"I respect the Supreme Court verdict," he said when asked to comment on the apex Court judgement.
Parliament sources said that a statement would be made on behalf of the government in both the Houses.
A high-power committee, headed by the Prime Minister, had cleared the appointment of Thomas, the then union telecom secretary, to the Consitutional post.
Leader of the Opposition Sushma Swaraj, a member of the three-member high-power committee, had made known her disagreement to the government proposal of appointing Thomas as CVC. Home Minister P Chidambaram is the other member.
Dealing a big blow to the Central government, the Supreme Court struck down the appointment of Thomas as CVC, holding that the recommendation made by the high-powered panel did not consider the relevant material and, therefore, its
advice "does not exist in law".
60-year-old Thomas, facing a corruption case in a Kerala court relating to Palmolein import scam, resigned immediately after the apex Court gave its keenly awaited verdict, just six months after the former bureaucrat was appointed as the 14th CVC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read