I respect SC`s verdict on PJ Thomas: PM
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Thursday said he respected the Supreme Court verdict on the quashing of the appointment of PJ Thomas as Central Vigilance Commissioner.
"I respect the Supreme Court verdict," he said when asked to comment on the apex Court judgement.
Parliament sources said that a statement would be made on behalf of the government in both the Houses.
A high-power committee, headed by the Prime Minister, had cleared the appointment of Thomas, the then union telecom secretary, to the Consitutional post.
Leader of the Opposition Sushma Swaraj, a member of the three-member high-power committee, had made known her disagreement to the government proposal of appointing Thomas as CVC. Home Minister P Chidambaram is the other member.
Dealing a big blow to the Central government, the Supreme Court struck down the appointment of Thomas as CVC, holding that the recommendation made by the high-powered panel did not consider the relevant material and, therefore, its
advice "does not exist in law".
60-year-old Thomas, facing a corruption case in a Kerala court relating to Palmolein import scam, resigned immediately after the apex Court gave its keenly awaited verdict, just six months after the former bureaucrat was appointed as the 14th CVC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune