I studied in the light of kerosene lamp: PM
Mumbai: Addressing students of IIT Bombay here, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Saturday recalled his humble beginnings and the struggles.
"When I look back at my own life, I feel humbled, looking at the distance my own generation has travelled," he said.
"I studied in the light of a kerosene lamp, in a dusty village that had no power, no doctor, no school or college. I used to walk miles to go to the school," Singh said, delivering the `Golden Jubilee Convocation` address at IIT.
In all these matters, there has been an enormous improvement in the 65 years since Independence, he said.
"The progress that has been registered has often fallen short of the expectations of our people, particularly the young people," the Prime Minister conceded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- CHSE Odisha +2 Results 2015 (chseodisha.nic.in): Odisha Board Class 12th Result 2015 declared on orissaresults.nic.in