I-T slaps Rs 135 crore tax notice on IAS couple
New Delhi: The Income Tax department has
slapped a Rs 135-crore demand notice on Madhya Pradesh cadre
IAS couple Arvind and Tinu Joshi for alleged tax evasion.
The department had conducted searches in Bhopal and other
premises of the 1979-batch couple during the financial year
2009-10 and after scrutiny of their financial holdings and
assets, a tax demand notice has been issued against them a few
"The notices have been issued to the IAS officials after
their assessment was completed," a senior I-T officer said.
Documents relating to investments of the couple, according
to I-T department, have shown that they owned movable and
immovable assets to the tune of Rs 360 crore.
The I-T assessment order prepared by the Bhopal central
range of the department, according to sources, has relied
heavily on the properties, shares and other financial
investments found in the name of the couple during the
The I-T department had conducted searches on the couple`s
residence in February 2010 which yielded Rs three crore in
cash following which the officials were suspended.
Both Arvind and Tinu have held important positions in the
Centre since the late 80s.
Tinu served as Deputy Secretary in the PMO from July 1,
1988 to January 1, 1990 while Arvind was Joint Secretary in
the Defence Ministry during the 1999 Kargil conflict.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'