I want violence-free Pakistan: Sri Sri
Lahore: Indian spiritual leader Ravi Shankar arrived here Monday on a three-day visit, saying he wanted to see a violence-free Pakistan.
"My dream is to see a violence free Pakistan, and I am sure it is possible," a spokesman quoted the Art of Living founder as saying after he entered Lahore via the Wagah land border.
The Pakistan government provided him security from the border.
The visit, meant to foster inter-faith peace and harmony, began with an address by Ravi Shankar to those gathered to meet him at the border.
Present on the occasion were Pakistan Today editor Arif Nizami, former finance minister Sartaj Aziz, Humaira Shahid of the Pakistan Muslim League-Quaid, and Omar Cheema of the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf, headed by cricketer-turned-politician Imran Khan.
Later, addressing students at the FC College here, he went on: "There is only one god. Like in Islam there are 99 names of Allah, in Hinduism there are 108 forms of the same god. Idol is just a symbol."
In Pakistan, Ravi Shankar will meet business leaders, academics, spiritual leaders, student groups and opinion makers to strengthen collaborative efforts between the two countries.
He is likely to meet political leaders as well.
This is Ravi Shankar`s second visit to Pakistan after July 2004.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail