I was framed in Israeli embassy car blast case: Kazmi

Last Updated: Sunday, October 21, 2012 - 09:04

Zeenews Bureau

New Delhi: A day after the Supreme Court granted bail to Journalist Syed Mohammad Ahmed Kazmi, who was arrested in March for his alleged role in the bomb attack here on an Israeli diplomat`s car in February, on Saturday said that he was framed in the case.

Kazmi walked out of Tihar Jail on Saturday.

CNN-IBN has quoted Kazmi as saying: "I was picked up because I use to call Iran every day for journalistic purposes. They needed a scapegoat living in the Lodhi Road area".

Convinced that the "truth will prevail", Kazmi said: "Generally bail is given when the court is satisfied that the case will not result in conviction. I am innocent and I will love to hear at the end of the case that I`m free from all charges”.

"I have definitely been framed. I have been in journalism for the last 30 years. I started with an Iranian news agency in 1983 and therefore it was natural for me to travel to Iran. All allegations are false. They tried to frame me because of outside powers," he added.

Kazmi, aged 52, had been in prison since March 06 in connection with the February 13 attack on Aurangazeb Road-Race Course Road crossing, near the Prime Minister`s residence in central Delhi.

The car was being used by Israeli defence attache`s wife, Tel Yehoshua Koren, at the time of the bombing and she was injured in the terror strike.

Kazmi was released from Tihar Jail around 8.30 pm.

Hundreds of his happy friends and relatives welcomed him outside the prison with garlands and flowers, as a beaming Kazmi stepped outside jail number three. They also burst fire crackers.

Standing among the crowd was Kazmi`s wife Jahan Ara, aged 45. She told a news agency that her husband had "finally got justice".

Kazmi`s 18-year-old son Turab Ali said his father was innocent.

Kazmi had been detained under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act. He moved his first bail plea on March 28.

The apex court had directed that Kazmi be "released on bail to the satisfaction of the chief metropolitan magistrate, upon such conditions as may be deemed fit and proper".

The top court directed Kazmi to surrender his passport, report to the local police station, and not leave the city limits where he would be residing without the permission of the Court, so as to ensure his presence at the time of the trial.

(With IANS inputs)



First Published: Sunday, October 21, 2012 - 09:03

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus