I was removed as Puducherry LG as I `exposed` graft: Kataria
New Delhi: Days after his ouster as Puducherry`s Lt Governor, Virendra Kataria on Friday claimed he was removed because he exposed corruption in the UT government.
Addressing a meet-the-press programme here, he said his removal was a "punishment" for his honesty and integrity.
"I am first of all trying to know what are the causes (behind my removal) ...I honestly feel that it was a punishment for my honesty, integrity...I feel that I am not a fit person in this system," he said.
Asked whether he was going to file an RTI against the matter, he said everything was under consideration.
Kataria trained his guns at the present chief minister of Puducherry, saying "his first job was to get me removed because I was inconvenient".
Kataria said he has sought a meeting with the President of India to know the reasons for his removal.
He alleged his "firm stand against corruption and efforts to provide fair and transparent government" was what led to his ouster.
He said "a more fundamental question arises. What is the position of a Governor who is a constitutional head? It is a violation of the constitution.
"It`s a bigger question which is to be debated and considered and a way has to be found. How Governors are being treated? Overnight, I was removed. Overnight, Kamla Beniwal was shifted to North East and so many others...It is all petty politics", Kataria said.
He said "in Puducherry, I have seen the dirtiest politics, petty politics. It is not prevalent even in municipal committee and panchayat politics".
He said he had met the Prime Minister and the Home Minister and "I told them everything... I told them you say you are for a new system, you are a fair, transparent govt, zero tolerance for corrupt... You may remove me I don`t mind because I am a Congressman.
Asked whether his removal had anything to do with his approval for filing of an appeal against the acquittal of Kanchi Shankaracharya, he said the approval was "granted on the recommendation of the Law secretary, Chief secretary and the Chief minister" and he signed it in a "routine way".
"I do not go into the file. There was no mention of Shankaracharya at all. When it came to me signed by everybody in the government, so I signed. I was never told. In a routine way, there are so many cases where a man is acquitted and the appeal is filed," Kataria said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla