I will contest presidential election: Sangma
New Delhi: Former Lok Sabha speaker PA Sangma on Friday said that he will contest the presidential election and had got support from many political parties.
"I will be contesting. As of now I am a candidate sponsored by two chief ministers and I am still in the race," the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) leader told a TV channel. Interestingly, the NCP, a part of the ruling United Progressive Alliance (UPA), has not backed Sangma.
Asked whether he would withdraw his candidature if NCP chief Sharad Pawar asked him to, Sangma said: "No… I have committed to people supporting me."
Discussing the Trinamool Congress and the Samajwadi Party (SP) naming Prime Minister Manmohan Singh as a presidential candidate, Sangma said: "It is an internal matter of the UPA and I don`t want to comment… I am not part of UPA. I am an MLA in Meghlaya where NCP is in opposition."
Sangma said he has the support of several political parties.
"Political parties supporting me will declare their support after UPA finalises its candidate," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- 6.4 magnitude undersea quake rocks Fiji
- China pushes `patriotic` tours in South China Sea: Report
- `Inexcusable errors` by Australia TV crew in Beirut kidnap
- Drop everything and watch out for John, Varun & Jacqueline starrer 'Dishoom's logo! Pic Inside
- Centre to declassify 25 more files relating to Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose today