I will do what rules and regulations permit: Meira on Jaswant
Patna: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar
on Friday said she would go only by rules and regulations on BJP`s
demand for removal of expelled party MP Jaswant Singh from the
chairmanship of the Public Accounts Committee of Parliament.
"I will do what rules and regulations permit. We can`t
force him out. There is something called law, we will have to
follow it," Kumar said of Singh who has been expelled from the
Saffron party for his controversial book `Jinnah: India,
"It is up to Jaswant Singh to take a decision," she
said in reply to a question.
Jaswant Singh has rejected BJP`s demand that he give
up the post of chairperson of PAC.
Kumar laid the foundation of a 500-bed hospital
and medical college at Bihta, about 35 km from patna.
On August 31, Deputy Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha
Sushma Swaraj met Singh and requested him personally that
though keeping his seniority in mind the post of PAC chairman
was offered to him, he should step down as the situation has
The BJP and its ally Shiv Sena boycotted the first
meeting of the PAC on September 7. Unfazed by this, Singh said
he was sure they will attend the upcoming meetings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of 17 years of Kargil war history
- DNA: Analysis of 17 years of Kargil war history- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of doping controversies of Narsingh Yadav and Inderjeet Singh
- DNA: Analysis of doping controversies of Narsingh Yadav and Inderjeet Singh- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of Indian boat patrols on Ladakh's Pangong Tso Lake
- PMO directs Niti Aayog to work on restructuring of UGC, AICTE
- Roger Federer pulls out of Rio Olympics following ongoing knee trouble
- Super 30 founder wants 'level playing field' for marginalised students at IIT entrance
- SHAME! Son of Jadavpur University's professor touched girl students without consent, objectified them filthily?
- 30 Dalit groups in Gujarat form united front to fight atrocities