I will do what rules and regulations permit: Meira on Jaswant
Patna: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar
on Friday said she would go only by rules and regulations on BJP`s
demand for removal of expelled party MP Jaswant Singh from the
chairmanship of the Public Accounts Committee of Parliament.
"I will do what rules and regulations permit. We can`t
force him out. There is something called law, we will have to
follow it," Kumar said of Singh who has been expelled from the
Saffron party for his controversial book `Jinnah: India,
"It is up to Jaswant Singh to take a decision," she
said in reply to a question.
Jaswant Singh has rejected BJP`s demand that he give
up the post of chairperson of PAC.
Kumar laid the foundation of a 500-bed hospital
and medical college at Bihta, about 35 km from patna.
On August 31, Deputy Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha
Sushma Swaraj met Singh and requested him personally that
though keeping his seniority in mind the post of PAC chairman
was offered to him, he should step down as the situation has
The BJP and its ally Shiv Sena boycotted the first
meeting of the PAC on September 7. Unfazed by this, Singh said
he was sure they will attend the upcoming meetings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet