‘IAF capable of offensive anti-Naxal ops’
New Delhi: IAF chief Air Chief Marshal PV
Naik Monday said the Air Force had the capability for an
offensive operation against the Naxals but a decision on it
was in the government`s hands.
"Use of IAF in an offensive role, I won`t comment...
Possibilities are endless. It is a government decision,
whatever they decide. Capabilities are there, whether to use
them or not is a government decision," he told reporters here.
He was asked if the IAF was reluctant to use its assets
in an offensive role in the anti-Naxal operations being
carried out by the paramilitary forces.
On the IAF`s present role in the operations, Naik said
they were carrying out casualty evacuation, insertion and
exertion of troops and medical evacuation of the troops.
Noting that there was a lot of coordination between the
Defence and the Home Ministries in this regard, he said four
IAF helicopters were currently operating in the Naxal-infested
areas and were deployed in Chhattisgarh.
He said a similar role was being played by the force in
the counter-insurgency operations in Jammu and Kashmir.
About a year ago, the IAF had sought government`s
permission to fire back at Naxals in self defence, which had
been granted to them following which IAF commandos flew on the
choppers fitted with mounted guns.
The demand had come after one of its personnel was killed
and another injured when an Mi-17 chopper carrying election
officials during Chhattisgarh state assembly polls came under
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof