IAF Chief in Malaysia to bolster defence ties
Kuala Lumpur: Air Chief Marshal NAK Browne will hold talks with Malaysia`s top military officials, including his counterpart, and discuss ways to enhance India`s
defence cooperation with this key South Asian neighbour.
Air Chief Marshal Browne`s high-profile meetings will touch upon bilateral defence cooperation which since 2008 has included the Indian Air Force training Malaysian pilots to fly Russian Sukhoi fighters.
Browne, who is here on an official visit, will hold extensive talks with Malaysian defence forces chief General Zulkifeli bin Mohd Zin and Royal Malaysian Air Force chief General Rodzali bin Daud to further bolster bilateral military ties.
He will visit the Gong Kedak and Subang airbases to discuss professional exchanges, Sukhoi-30 training, maintenance and logistic issues. Browne is also expected to visit Air Force bases here before he flies back on Saturday.
A team of IAF pilots and technicians were stationed in Malaysia for two years from 2008 to train Malaysian pilots, weapon system operators and maintenance staff for the smooth induction and operation of their then newly acquired Sukhoi-30
They also helped set up a `Systems School` for the Sukhoi fighters at the Gong Kedak airbase.
The visit of the IAF chief and the strong bilateral ties with Malaysia shows India`s efforts to seek closer ties with its ASEAN neighbours and strengthen its Look East policy, sources told a news agency.
The defence cooperation ranges from counter-terrorism and peace-keeping operations to training and maintenance of defence equipment, they said.
Indian naval warships have also regularly visited Malaysia to conduct joint exercises.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know