IAF Chopper tragedy: Wing commanders cremated
Palampur: Wing Commanders Ashish Sharma and Vikram Singh, who were among nine victims of Jamnagar mid-air helicopter crash, were cremated on Saturday with full military honours.
It was solemn moment which left many teary-eyed as Vikram Singh`s wife Taruna, who is also an IAF officer, saluted her husband`s body and his 10-year-old son Varun lit the pyre at the Adarsh Nagar cremation ground in Jaipur.
The mortal remains of Sharma were brought to Palampur in Himchal Pradesh by an IAF helicopter and senior Army and Air Force Officers (IAF) escorted the body to his native village Jandpur, 10 kms from here.
His elder brother Lt Col Rajneesh Sharma lit the pyre and performed the last rites afters wreaths were laid on behalf of Army and Air Force Chiefs. The officers of the district administration also laid a wreath on behalf of the state government.
Wing Commander Ashish Sharma (36) is survived by his father Suresh, a retired IAF officer, mother Laaj Sharma, wife Avantika and son Rakshit (8) and daughter Harshit (4).
Facing a personal tragedy, Suresh did not forget the other IAF officers who died in the crash and conveyed his condolences to bereaved families.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?