IAF Chopper tragedy: Wing commanders cremated
Palampur: Wing Commanders Ashish Sharma and Vikram Singh, who were among nine victims of Jamnagar mid-air helicopter crash, were cremated on Saturday with full military honours.
It was solemn moment which left many teary-eyed as Vikram Singh`s wife Taruna, who is also an IAF officer, saluted her husband`s body and his 10-year-old son Varun lit the pyre at the Adarsh Nagar cremation ground in Jaipur.
The mortal remains of Sharma were brought to Palampur in Himchal Pradesh by an IAF helicopter and senior Army and Air Force Officers (IAF) escorted the body to his native village Jandpur, 10 kms from here.
His elder brother Lt Col Rajneesh Sharma lit the pyre and performed the last rites afters wreaths were laid on behalf of Army and Air Force Chiefs. The officers of the district administration also laid a wreath on behalf of the state government.
Wing Commander Ashish Sharma (36) is survived by his father Suresh, a retired IAF officer, mother Laaj Sharma, wife Avantika and son Rakshit (8) and daughter Harshit (4).
Facing a personal tragedy, Suresh did not forget the other IAF officers who died in the crash and conveyed his condolences to bereaved families.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love