IAF commandos may guard Delhi during CWG
New Delhi: IAF helicopters carrying combat
commandos armed with snipers and assault rifles are likely to
be roped in to keep a hawk-eye vigil over Delhi during the
next year`s Commonwealth Games.
The Home Ministry has approached the Defence Ministry to
provide at least seven to eight helicopters for surveillance
of the Delhi sky during the fortnight-long sporting event
which will be attended by 8,000 athletes, 1,00,000 spectators
and nearly 30 heads of states.
"We hope that the IAF helicopters will be available to us
on time," a Home Ministry official said.
A request to the Defence Ministry has been sent as the
Home Ministry choppers, which are with the BSF, have been made
available to the Naxal-affected states.
The helicopters will be stationed at key locations in the
capital and will be deployed whenever the security agencies
feel it necessary.
However, Home Secretary G K Pillai had already said that
as of now there was no specific terror threat to the sporting
Pillai had said India will take all necessary measures to
ensure that mega sporting event passes off peacefully.
"On behalf of the organising committee and Sports
Ministry and everybody in the government of India, we want to
tell everyone that we are totally committed to secure and safe
Commonwealth Games," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad