IAF officer faces court martial for seeking bribe
New Delhi: The Air Force has begun court
martial proceedings against a Wing Commander who was allegedly
caught demanding a bribe from officials of French defence firm
at the Aero India show in Bangalore last year.
The Court of Inquiry (CoI) into the incident had
recommended Wg Cdr A K Thakur to face a court martial and the
proceedings started against him in Bangalore recently, sources
They said the CoI had found Thakur prima facie involved
in demanding bribe from French company Dassault Aviation for
allotting a `more advantageous position` for its Rafale
aircraft in the `static` aircraft display section at the
One of the officials of Dassault Aviation, who had filed
the complaint against the officer, is also there to appear as
a witness in the General Court Martial (GCM) headed by a Group
Captain-rank officer, the sources said.
Court martial is the actual trial to prove if a person is
guilty or not of the charges levelled against him in the CoI.
However, verdict of the court martial is also not final, as it
is subject to approval from higher authorities.
Dassault Aviation`s Rafale, which has now won the race
for IAF`s multi-billion dollar combat aircraft deal, was one
of the six contenders in the hotly-contested tender when the
alleged incident happened in February 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble