IAF officer faces court martial for seeking bribe
New Delhi: The Air Force has begun court
martial proceedings against a Wing Commander who was allegedly
caught demanding a bribe from officials of French defence firm
at the Aero India show in Bangalore last year.
The Court of Inquiry (CoI) into the incident had
recommended Wg Cdr A K Thakur to face a court martial and the
proceedings started against him in Bangalore recently, sources
They said the CoI had found Thakur prima facie involved
in demanding bribe from French company Dassault Aviation for
allotting a `more advantageous position` for its Rafale
aircraft in the `static` aircraft display section at the
One of the officials of Dassault Aviation, who had filed
the complaint against the officer, is also there to appear as
a witness in the General Court Martial (GCM) headed by a Group
Captain-rank officer, the sources said.
Court martial is the actual trial to prove if a person is
guilty or not of the charges levelled against him in the CoI.
However, verdict of the court martial is also not final, as it
is subject to approval from higher authorities.
Dassault Aviation`s Rafale, which has now won the race
for IAF`s multi-billion dollar combat aircraft deal, was one
of the six contenders in the hotly-contested tender when the
alleged incident happened in February 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'