IAF planning to get more Embraer jets for ferrying VIPS
New Delhi: The Indian Air Force is planning to procure more Embraer business jets for its Delhi-based Communication Squadron for ferrying VIPS.
The IAF plan to procure more VIP jets comes at a time when its purchase of 12 AW-101 VVIP choppers is under the scanner for alleged payments of kickbacks by its manufacturer AgustaWestland to secure the deal in its favour.
The IAF already has a fleet of four Embraer jets procured from Brazil in 2004-05 in a multi-million dollar deal and the aircraft are used by the force to fly the Defence Minister and the Services Chiefs. Cabinet Ministers from other Ministries also seek Prime Minister`s approval to use the aircraft for official travel.
The IAF is planning to procure more Embraer jets for ferrying VVIPs as the duties of the Palam-based Communication Squadron have increased manifold in the last few years, IAF sources said here.
The number of aircraft to be procured by the force for the purpose have not yet been finalised, they said.
The tainted deal for procuring VVIP choppers has been put on hold by Defence Minister AK Antony after the arrest of Finmeccanica CEO Giuseppe Orsi and AgustaWestland CEO Bruno Spagnolini.
IAF`s communication squadron also has three Boeing 737 jets for ferrying the President and the Prime Minister for short-distance travel in and around the country.
Modified Mi-8 choppers are used by the dignitaries to fly inside the country to places which are not connected by air strips.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!