IAF scales 3 virgin peaks in Ladakh region
New Delhi: An Indian Air Force mountaineering team has scaled three newly opened peaks in Ladakh region with an aim to propose that they be named after IAF`s three `heroes`, including Marshal of the Air Force Arjan Singh.
IAF is now planning to approach Indian Mountaineering Federation (IMF) for naming these peaks after Flying Officer Nirmaljit Singh, the sole Paramvir Chakra awardee in the force, Marshal of the Air Force Arjan Singh, the sole five star rank officer, and its first Indian chief Subroto Mukherjee.
The team of 18 IAF personnel, led by Wing Commander Namit Rawat, was received today by the Air Force chief Air Chief Marshal N A K Browne.
This was IAF`s first ever expedition to unclimbed peaks at altitudes of 20,112 feet, 21,200 feet and 21,010 feet. All these were successfully summited in one expedition. The team consisted of 11 first time climbers and an Air Force civilian.
The mountaineering team was also the first to establish a route to the top of these peaks, situated at a tough and inhospitable terrain.
In last couple of years, IAF mountaineers have scaled some of the toughest mountain in the world, including Mount Everest-the highest peak in the world.
Last year, a team of women mountaineers also successfully scaled the Everest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31