IAF scales 3 virgin peaks in Ladakh region
New Delhi: An Indian Air Force mountaineering team has scaled three newly opened peaks in Ladakh region with an aim to propose that they be named after IAF`s three `heroes`, including Marshal of the Air Force Arjan Singh.
IAF is now planning to approach Indian Mountaineering Federation (IMF) for naming these peaks after Flying Officer Nirmaljit Singh, the sole Paramvir Chakra awardee in the force, Marshal of the Air Force Arjan Singh, the sole five star rank officer, and its first Indian chief Subroto Mukherjee.
The team of 18 IAF personnel, led by Wing Commander Namit Rawat, was received today by the Air Force chief Air Chief Marshal N A K Browne.
This was IAF`s first ever expedition to unclimbed peaks at altitudes of 20,112 feet, 21,200 feet and 21,010 feet. All these were successfully summited in one expedition. The team consisted of 11 first time climbers and an Air Force civilian.
The mountaineering team was also the first to establish a route to the top of these peaks, situated at a tough and inhospitable terrain.
In last couple of years, IAF mountaineers have scaled some of the toughest mountain in the world, including Mount Everest-the highest peak in the world.
Last year, a team of women mountaineers also successfully scaled the Everest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion