IAF soon to induct more than 150 Sukhois: Air chief
Silchar: The Indian Air Force (IAF) will soon induct more than 150 Sukhoi Su-30 MKI combat jets and 80 Mi-17-1V medium-lift helicopters as part of a massive drive to boost its capabilities, a top military commander said Wednesday.
"We are getting more than 150 Sukhois. There is also a deal on for 80 medium-lift helicopters from Russia, fifth-generation Russian fighters and special helicopters for flying VVIPs like the president and the prime minister," the IAF chief, Air Chief Marshal P.V. Naik told reporters here.
Naik is on a visit to the northeast to oversee facilities and review the airpower capabilities in the region.
He said that irrespective of whether or not there is a threat from its immediate neighbours, India would continue building its airpower capabilities.
"Many more new aircraft would be coming in. There are plans for the next 20 years with India`s zone of interest extending from the Strait of Hormuz to the Strait of Malacca. The Indian Air Force should be able to have the capabilities to meet those aspirations," Naik added.
"It doesn`t matter what our neighbours (China in this case) do or think. We want to build our own capabilities and make sure we are fully geared up," he pointed out.
The air chief said the eagerly anticipated medium multi-role combat aircraft (MMRCA) requirement for at least 126 jets is now in its trials stage.
"That would also be a very valuable addition to the Indian Air Force," Naik said.
The IAF chief said the northeast was a priority area, with the government focusing on upgrading facilities in the region.
"We are upgrading airfields and other facilities here as part of our capability building measures," Naik said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks