IAF to get four Super Hercules transport aircraft
New Delhi: Strengthening the special
operations capability of Indian Air Force, four of the six
C-130J Super Hercules transport aircraft procured from the
US under a USD 970-million deal will join the fleet by month
"Two aircraft are already here at the Hindon air base
near here and two more would be joining our fleet by the end
of this month," IAF officials said here.
The first aircraft was handed over to India by the US
Air Force under a USD 970 million deal in mid-December last
year and it was inducted into the IAF in February.
The aircraft will considerably enhance IAF`s special
missions capability and will also be used for transporting men
and material, they said.
In 2008, India had purchased the aircraft under the US
government`s Foreign Military Sales route that includes an
offset clause under which the firm will invest 30 per cent of
the deal amount back in Indian defence industry.
The aircraft would also be pressed into service for
transporting special forces from the capital to other places
in the country in case need arises and reduce their response
time as well.
The US government had offered a unique C-130J
configuration for special mission roles and these will be the
first uniquely configured aircraft in the IAF fleet for its
The aircraft will be able to perform precision low-
level flying and landing in blackout conditions.
Special features are included to ensure aircraft
survivability in hostile air defence environment.
In addition, these aircraft will have refuelling
probes, advance radar warning receivers and counter measure
dispensing system for extended range and additional safety.
India is also planning to place orders for six more
similar aircraft and likely to send a Letter of Request to the
US Government in this regard in near future.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India