IAF to upgrade fleet of combat planes: Govt
New Delhi: Aiming to enhance the combat potential of its fighter aircraft, the IAF has signed contracts with various companies to upgrade its fleet of combat planes involving MiG-29, MiG-27, Mirage-2000 and Jaguars.
In a written reply to a question in Lok Sabha Monday, Defence Minister A K Antony said, "IAF has undertaken upgrades of MiG-21 and MiG-29 aircraft. Contracts have also been signed to upgrade MiG-29, Mirage-2000 and Jaguar aircraft."
Contract for upgrade of MiG-29 was signed with RAC MiG at a cost of USD 964 million and it is scheduled to be completed by 2016, he told the House.
For upgradation of Mirage-2000 aircraft, a contract has been signed with French firms Thales and Dassault Aviation at a cost of 1470 million Euros. Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) will also participate in the programme and a contract worth Rs 2020 crore has been signed with it also.
"All the aircraft (Mirage-2000) are scheduled to be upgraded by mid-2021," Antony said.
On upgradation of Jaguar aircraft, he said, "The contract has been signed with HAL at a cost of Rs 3113.02 crore and the aircraft are planned to be upgraded by December 2017."
The Defence Minister also said that IAF has prepared a Long Term Perspective Plan (LTPP) for procurement of aircraft and equipment in next 15 years (2012-2027).
"This plan lays down the roadmap for capability-building and enhancement of combat potential of the IAF," he said.
Antony also said that various contracts have been signed in last three years for procurement of Su-30 MKI fighter aircraft, Tejas Light Combat Aircraft (LCA), Medium Lift Helicopters, Intermediate Jet Trainers and Hawk Advanced Jet Trainers as well as various types of radars, airborne weapon systems and air defence missile systems.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Inhalation therapy, a key to win big against asthma
- HCL Tech Q3 net profit grows 14.4% to Rs 1,926 crore
- Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System (IRNSS): 10 things you must know!
- India will be 'Congress-free' if BJP keeps nation 'drought-free': Sanjay Raut
- AgustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: Parent firm Finmeccanica yet to be formally blacklisted, says report