IAF Vice Chief issues clarification on women fighter pilots
New Delhi: After kicking up a controversy
with his remarks over induction of women fighter pilots into
the IAF, Vice Chief Air Marshal PK Barbora on Thursday said these
comments were his "personal opinion" and issued a
clarification short of an apology.
"My remarks concerning induction of women fighter pilots
into the IAF have come in for a lot of discussion in the
media... I would like to clarify that my remarks concerning
`off-spring` and `imposing some conditions` were my own
personal opinion and not that of the IAF or the Defence
Ministry," the Vice Chief said.
Barbora fuelled a controversy on Tuesday with his remarks
on the economic viability of hiring women as fighter pilots
citing situations where they will be off duties for some
time once they had children.
In his clarification, he said the "remarks were made in
response to questions by the media during the curtain raiser
to the President of India’s maiden flight in a Su-30 aircraft
later this month.
If I had hurt any groups’ sentiments, I would like to
state that it was not with any malicious intentions of hurting
anyone’s feelings or casting any aspersions on their ability."
Barbora said "induction of women into actual combat is
a tri-services issue and has demanded a careful orchestrated
approach starting with grant of permanent commission to
Talking about various aspects involved in the hiring of
women as fight pilots, the Vice Chief said, "I am quite
confident, as I had also mentioned during the media
interaction, that in not a distant future, we hope to see
women pilots flying fighters in some form of combat roles. I
say this as an ‘air warrior’ and one who abides by our
Considering many variables such as our country’s
societal environmental and cultural ethos of respect and
status of women, a step by step approach would be the
preferred option in respect of employability of women in the
defence forces, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees