IAF`s C-130J makes debut at Republic Day
New Delhi: The Indian Air Force`s (IAF) latest acquisition, the US Lockheed Martin C-130J transporter, made its debut at the 63rd Republic Day parade here Thursday.
The plane, used by Indian armed forces for special forces operations, was part of the IAF tableau and the fly past over Rajpath for the first time ever.
Three C-130Js were part of the IAF`s 29-aircraft fly past, which included Sukhoi 30-MKIs and MiG29s.
This is the first time in several decades that an American plane, which is part of the IAF fleet, is taking part in the Republic Day fly past.
India bought six C-130Js from the US for over $1 billion.
As in the previous years, the highlight of the flypast was the vertical Charlie manoeuvre by a lone Sukhoi aircraft that marked the culmination of the parade.
The two-phase fly past began with four Mi-17 IV helicopters going past the saluting base trailing the National Flag and the army, navy and air force flags. They also showered petals on the people on the Rajpath.
The IAF was also represented by a tableau depicting its Special Forces and special operational capabilities.
The float showcased the Mi-17 V5 multi-purpose helicopter, another latest acquisition, intended to airlift special forces to combat areas.
The C130J and Mi-17 V5 cater to the need of commandos of the army and navy along with IAF`s Guard and National Security Guard commandos.
An IL78, two AN-32s, two Dornier`s also flew in a Big Boy formation, while five Jaguar aircraft zoomed overhead. So did as many MiG-29 in the arrowhead formation.
Prior to the vertical Charlie by a lone Sukhoi, three other Su-30 MKI planes flew in the Trishul formation and split upwards making a trident in the sky.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks