IAF`s C-130J Super Hercules plane crashes; 5 killed, PM condoles
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi/Jaipur: In a tragic incident, Indian Air Force`s new C-130J Super Hercules transport plane - configured for special operations and airborne assault - on Friday crashed near Gwalior, killing all five crew members, including four officers.
Two Wing Commanders, two Squadron Leaders and another crew member were killed in the Super Hercules Special Operations plane crash, Defence PRO told a news agency in Jaipur.
The IAF has ordered court of inquiry into the crash.
Meanwhile, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh paid his condolences.
Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh condoles the loss life in the unfortunate accident of Indian Air Force C130J.
— Dr Manmohan Singh (@PMOIndia) March 28, 2014
"One C-130J aircraft crashed 72 miles (115 km) west of Gwalior air base. The aircraft was airborne from Agra at 1000 hours for a routine flying training mission. A Court of Inquiry has been ordered to investigate into the cause of the accident," an IAF spokesperson said here.
Police in Jaipur said senior officials, including Superintendent of Police, Karauli, have rushed to the spot along Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh border.
Air Force officials said IAF chief Arup Raha has briefed Defence Minister AK Antony about the crash. Senior officers from the Air Headquarters have been dispatched to the crash site, they said.
Local IAF units have also rushed officers and men in choppers to the accident area, they said.
India had recently inducted six C-130J Super Hercules aircraft, which were bought from the US at the cost of around Rs 6,000 crore (USD 1.1 billion) four years ago.
The incident is shocking since the plane, known as the safest aircraft, has capabilities of landing and taking off even in improvised or short airfields, and without lights.
The home base of the 77 squadron `Veiled Vipers` operating the aircraft is Hindan in Ghaziabad near here.
India had recently deployed a C-130J Super Hercules of the Indian Air Force in Kuala Lumpur to take part in the international search for the missing Malaysian airliner in the South Indian Ocean region.
The aircraft was recently landed on the Daulat Beg Oldie air field near China border and have helped in boosting IAF`s capability to airlift troops closer to the borders in times of emergency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo