I&B Ministry sets in motion to suspend Lalli
New Delhi: Information and Broadcasting Ministry has set in motion the process to suspend Prasar Bharati CEO BS Lalli in the wake of allegations against him by writing to the Prime Minister`s Office (PMO).
A letter recommending the suspension of Lalli has been sent to the PMO, official sources said on Sunday.
The PMO has to send the letter to President Pratibha Patil for her assent. Under the Prasar Bharati Act, only the President can order the removal or suspension of the CEO of the state-owned broadcaster.
Lalli, a 1971-batch IAS officer, is in the eye of a storm over allegations of irregularities in Prasar Bharti which included the controversial decision to give the contract for broadcast of recently concluded Commonwealth Games to a UK-based firm SIS Live.
The Ministry`s move came a week after President Patil gave her assent to a Supreme Court inquiry into the alleged irregularities in Prasar Bharati.
Lalli, who assumed the CEO`s office in December 2006, was indicted by the Central Vigilance Commission which accused him of breach of Parliamentary privilege, giving undue favours to some broadcast companies and financial mismanagement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?