I&B Ministry sets in motion to suspend Lalli
New Delhi: Information and Broadcasting Ministry has set in motion the process to suspend Prasar Bharati CEO BS Lalli in the wake of allegations against him by writing to the Prime Minister`s Office (PMO).
A letter recommending the suspension of Lalli has been sent to the PMO, official sources said on Sunday.
The PMO has to send the letter to President Pratibha Patil for her assent. Under the Prasar Bharati Act, only the President can order the removal or suspension of the CEO of the state-owned broadcaster.
Lalli, a 1971-batch IAS officer, is in the eye of a storm over allegations of irregularities in Prasar Bharti which included the controversial decision to give the contract for broadcast of recently concluded Commonwealth Games to a UK-based firm SIS Live.
The Ministry`s move came a week after President Patil gave her assent to a Supreme Court inquiry into the alleged irregularities in Prasar Bharati.
Lalli, who assumed the CEO`s office in December 2006, was indicted by the Central Vigilance Commission which accused him of breach of Parliamentary privilege, giving undue favours to some broadcast companies and financial mismanagement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Singh Is Bliing movie review: Watch it for Akshay Kumar!
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'