I&B Ministry to promote UID project
New Delhi: The Information and Broadcasting Ministry has been given the responsibility of promoting the Unique Identification Number (UID) project, officials said here on Friday.
In a recent meeting between the ministry officials and UID representatives, the project managers are said to have requested the I&B Ministry to utilise its large network
comprising All India Radio and Doordarshan for promoting the
benefits of the project, a key initiative of the UPA
government, they said.
The publicity campaign for UID may begin this July.
Though the ministry`s various tools like AIR, DD,
Directorate of Audio Visual Publicity (DAVP) and Song and
Drama Division are used for spreading awareness about various
government programmes, considering the UID project`s scale, it
is probably the biggest media campaign which has come its way
in recent times, they added.
Apart from using DD and AIR`s air time, the ministry
could also buy airtime in private channels, especially those
slots when popular TV serials are aired so that the UID
awareness campaign can grab maximum attention.
The ministry is also planning to buy airtime on private
FM radio stations for the same purpose and the total estimate
of the entire publicity campaign for UID is estimated to be
between Rs 70 to 80 crore.
The UID project is expected to begin by the end of
this year, they said.
The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI)
was formed for issuing a unique identification number to
Indian citizens with their photograph and biometric data by
The IDs is expected to help address problems like rigged
elections, widespread embezzlement that affects subsidies and
poverty alleviation programs such as NREGA. It could also help
in keeping a check on illegal immigration into India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says