New Delhi: The Centre has decided not to intervene in the matter of suspended IAS officer Durga Shakti Nagpal, which has triggered a controversy, as no appeal has been made by her to challenge the suspension by the Uttar Pradesh government.
Nagpal, who had cracked down on sand mining mafia active in Gautam Budh Nagar district of Uttar Pradesh, was suspended late last month ostensibly for ordering demolition of a wall of a local under-construction mosque allegedly without following the due process.
"The officer has not made any appeal with the Centre. Hence, the central government will not intervene in the matter. It will, however, make sure that the entire disciplinary procedure is followed as per rules," a senior official of Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT) said.
He said that Nagpal has already sent her reply to a charge sheet issued by Uttar Pradesh administration.
Following Nagpal`s suspension on July 27, Centre had issued three reminders to UP government seeking a detailed report.
The state government had on August 4 sent a report on Nagpal`s suspension to the DoPT and also served a charge sheet to her seeking response over her action deemed as unwarranted and in violation of rules by the ruling Samajwadi Party government.
Nagpal, a 2010 batch IAS officer, had replied to the charge sheet on August 16, in which she is understood to have stated that she has not violated any rule and abide by directions of Supreme Court.